- Product Reviews
The Radial PZ-DI is a unique DI specifically designed for acoustic and orchestral instruments. Instead of a 'one size fits all' design, the PZ-DI lets you match the input impedance to the source to optimize the frequency response, dynamics and feel. Now, no matter what type of pickup you employ, you’ll hear smoother, more musically pleasing results.
Start with a 3-position load adjustment switch:
- The 1 meg-ohm position delivers the classic impedance found on most active DI boxes.
- The 220k-ohm setting warms up the tone of a magnetic pickup to give you the feel and tone as if connected to a tube amplifier.
- The ultra-high 10 meg-ohm impedance is used to compensate for the harsh, squawky tone that usually plagues piezo-equipped instruments.
For even more tone shaping:
- A fully variable high-pass filter lets you roll off bass frequencies to eliminate unwanted resonance.
- A low-pass filter softens the hard edge from active instruments such as acoustic guitars that incorporate a battery-powered preamp, for a smoother more natural tone.
The PZ-DI also incorporates an innovative DC-to-DC switching supply that converts the phantom power to deliver extra headroom—plenty of dynamic range for acoustic instruments. Or for an extra loud source such as an active bass or digital keyboard, simply activate the -15dB switch.
- A 180° polarity reverse switch to tame hot spots on stage that can cause feedback
- A ground lift switch to help eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops
- Adjustable load for piezo and magnetic pickups
- Variable low-cut filter to control bass resonance
- 48V phantom powered, does not require batteries
- Optimized for orchestral instruments on a live stage
The Radial PZ-DI is a ground-breaking direct box that can instantly adapt to all types of pickups so that you can enjoy the full frequency response and dynamics of an orchestral string instrument, smooth-out the peaks of bluegrass fiddle, banjo or mandolin, split off a bass guitar without excessive loading, or naturally amplify an acoustic guitar without the usual tone-altering effects.
Why we like it:
The Radial PZ-DI is virtually a tunable DI. The three-position Load switch lets you adjust the impedance to match the instrument and playing style.
Plus, if it says Radial, we know it’s well engineered and built to last. There’s less-expensive gear out there, but none better. Radial gear performs gig after gig, session after session, and you can expect years of service—which means our customers love them and we don’t see them coming back for repairs. We always like that.